[Amps] SPIKE Question????

TED & JOYCE k9huh at icss.net
Wed Nov 24 22:27:57 EST 2004

Hi All,
    Just found this reflector and hoping someone out there may have an
answer short of new tubes to my problem.....Am running an Kenwood 870
into an Alpha 87a (about 5 years old)......On phone there is now problem
with putting out full power...once I go to CW if I drive it and output
is over about 5-600 watts it just completly shuts down.....NO deffaults
lites  or anything.....Talked with alpha one time about this and they
told me tubes were getting soft which I am sure they are.......Short of
putting 6Bills in to some new tubes is there any suggestions to get
around this intial volatage strike to the amp from the exciter... and if
it is necessary to retube is there any way to avoid these  kind of
problems in the future......Yes before anyone replies it is not in feed
lines antennas etc etc.........Same freq. same everything fine on SSB
intial spike on CW turns it off............Thanks and hoping to hear
from somebody that has been down this road before................Best of
73"s and a very Happy Thanksgiving too all...........
Ted     K9HUH      "huh: