[Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

Chuck (Jack) Hawley c-hawley at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 26 19:59:51 EST 2004

I used one from 1973 or so until 1995. Great scope...on 8 hours a day for 22 years...not triggered unless being used...somewhere along the way, the fan quit and ran that way for at least a year...didn't seem to matter...and I burned out a 50 ohm input termination once and some indicator bulbs. I could see a single 3 ns pulse when I was looking for a digital design startup problem if I set the single sweep, pull down the shade and turn of the ceiling lights at the lab...put my face into the screen. I had a storage scope (466 I think) but the 485 worked too well to bother. As far as I know it is still doing fine. I didn't care for HP scopes. Not enough anode voltage to see that single sweep pulse if needed. It's a 350 MHz scope and Tek was always conservative with their ratings.
Chuck, KE9UW