[Amps] 3-500Z Recomendations

craxd craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sat Oct 2 13:18:03 EDT 2004

I,m gonna go out on a limb here but here goes. Richardson Electronics
pulls the strings on the Eimac tubes now. They also own the brand names
Cetron and Amperex. They private label for everyone else too. When you
get a tube from either, you don't know where it's made at! Knowing how
Richardson does business, they're all probably from one manufacturer in
China. I know of one Chinese manufacturer now selling direct here in the
US who told me they were private labeling the 3-500Z and would not tell
me to whom! My guess was RF Parts or Richardson. I do know most
everything you'll get under Cetron is either Russian or Chinese. Now, I
hate to be hard on Richardson but I know for a fact who they are and how
they operate. I used to buy 1000's of tubes through their "shady" branch
years ago from a salesman named Bernie Guss. Bernie, told me everything
that was going on and who was who in both the legal and illegal
business. Richardson is the very reason you can not now buy a new
receiving tube of any type hardly as they were who bought out the GE
plant down in Owensburogh Kentucky. Myself and two others offered to buy
out the tube machinery lines for two models of tubes and Richardson flat
out refused to sell them. I asked the manager what would then happen to
the equipment. He said," It'll be put up in mothballs with dust settling
on it", if I recall correctly. This was done purely to raise the price
on receiving tubes and the price doubled shortly after that. The GE
plant is now named MPD and Richardson is the proud owner.

What burns me about this, it's nothing but a monopoly, and the US
government is letting them by with it! Just to put it bluntly, any name
branded tube in the US, Richardson controls the pricing on. I cant say
that Merit (RF Parts) buys from them but the tubes in big quantities has
to come from somewhere. The only glass tube manufacturers that are left
are in either Russia (Svetlana, Telsa), Yugoslavia (Phillips-EI) and
China, with China being the prodomanent one. Chinas prodomanence is due
to one thing, price!

Will Matney

The RF Parts/Taylor ZGs are excellent tubes.  I've had mine nearly two years and they really take a beating!!  I run mine mostly in AM in my Henry 3K-A and they just continue to pump out the power!!  Still getting 2kW PEP from the Henry with ~100W drive...

Joe,
N3JI

"R.Measures" <r at somis.org> wrote:

On Oct 1, 2004, at 7:19 PM, Steven Cook wrote:

>> Team,
>>
>> Anyone have data/idea/opinion on currently available 3-500Z fire
>> bottles. I believe Eimac stooped making them, but have seen the Eimac
>> part available albeit, at a high price; e.g., $250.00 and up.

Eimac 3-500Zs that were manufactured in Salt Lake City in the 1990s
have a well-deserved reptutation for bad spotwelds in the anode cooler.
When the welds let go, the anode-cooler will touch the grounded grid.
The way to test for this problem is to slap the tube down into one's
palm. If the spotwelds are bad, the anode cooler will bend. I have
heard of no Chinese metal-anode tube with this problem. Graphite-anode
tubes have no anode welds, so they can not have this problem.