[Amps] bias for 3cx3000

Barry Kirkwood bjk at ihug.co.nz
Tue Oct 5 04:51:43 EDT 2004

The original question, as I read it, was about a technique to set the bias
for a power tube.
A cheap and easy way to do this is to put a power transistor in series with
the cathode, and vary the Vcb with a floating power supply of modest
capability.
This is less crude than wiring in diodes one at a time, or running up and
down a long string of them.
One can create a power zener by using zeners to control Vcb and trimming
with low power diodes to set within 0.7 V, it is also easy to vary operating
points by shorting diodes.
In my part of the world power zeners are not easily found, but power
transistors can be had for free from junked gear, or cheap from shops.
If 200A is encountered then the transistor will provide a fast fuse.
Have used this configuration in a modest 2x3-500 amp for around 10 years now
with no problems.
73
Barry

end