[Amps] Transformer in GLA 1000 B : OK for 2xGI 7 ?

craxd craxd1 at ezwv.com
Tue Oct 5 13:53:32 EDT 2004

Ken,
The Dahl transformer will provide 2.1 amperes continuous. However, if it
were to be re-rated to ICAS, the current could be multiplied by 30%-50%.
Keep in mind that the wire size must be correct and the correct amount
of iron for 2.1 amperes and the wattage. The winding wire size if
usually determined by circular mils. Most are wound between 500 and 1000
circular mils per ampere. I always used 750 cir mils for ICAS and 1000
cir mils for CCS. The best thing to determine how to derate that one is
to see what the core size is, and the wire size.

C-cores are a whole horse of a different color as compared to EI cores.
For their size, they produce the same watt rating as one larger.
However, a C-core will not run as cool as an EI core will. There's a
different formula for determining the size of the C-core as compared to
an EI core. But, when I figure a C-core, I figure the core size the same
as an EI due to heat. That way they run about the same as an EI does.
Another difference is the flux density of the steel used in each. Plain
EI lams are about 12,500 gausses per sq. cm. or 80,625 gausses per sq
inch. If I recall, the C-cores steel runs about 18,000 at 60 Hz, or
116,100 gausses per sq inch. The higher the flux density, the smaller
the core can be. There is some EI lams like M-2 to M-6 with a high flux
density similar to C-cores. The problem is that with a smaller core, and
the same wattage, heat builds up quicker. A larger core will take heat
away from the windings like a heatsink somewhat. If it runs hotter, it
will transmit extra heat into the windings. This is what causes a
transformer to fail, and generally short due to the insulation melting
deep in the inner winding. For no more weight savings there is (about
20%), I stick with EI cores. The physical size of a shell type C-core is
about the same as an EI with the corners rounded off. That's where the
weight savings comes in plus a smaller core over the flux density. EI
cores are also less expensive, so is another reason to stick with them.
Sometimes you can buy two fifty pound boxes of EI lams for the price of
one C-core.

Will Matney