[Amps] Mod xmfr

Joe Isabella n3ji at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 10:57:13 EDT 2004

Unless you're totally fixed on using the 813s (not a THING wrong with that, BTW!!), you might check out this site: http://www.classeradio.com/

I've been considering this for quite some time now and it looks like a really efficient way to get a high-power AM signal on the air.  I'm using a "Modern Rig" (a lot of folks say "Rice Box", but I have a Ten-Tec -- maybe we could call it a "Wheat Box" instead) & amplifier on AM right now, but I'd love to put one of these on the air!!  Not too complicated since you can use a "Modern Rig" to provide drive for the RF amp thus making it simple in terms of frequency stability and the like.  Anyone interested in building one of these?

Joe, N3JI

peter.chadwick at Zarlink.Com wrote:
>Just how difficult would it be to make one?

Just don't forget the air gap so that the secondary doesn't produce enough
field to saturate the core. That will also mean that for any given primary
impedance, you'll effectively need more turns than with a closed core.

73

Peter SM/G3RZP