[Amps] Ebay sales

Dennis12Amplify at aol.com Dennis12Amplify at aol.com
Mon Oct 11 12:09:05 EDT 2004

Will and Bill,

 I just went to the ebay site and looked that item over.

 As a 13MHZ plasma generator it is probably worth the price and then  some if
you have a shop that needs one and the 3 phase power to run it; and you  can
get some type of a guarantee of proper operation from the seller.

 As far as a CB operator purchasing it goes: (My opinion only and I'll
probably take a lot of criticism for stating it.)......
   If the CB operator was capable of making the changes required  to put it
on 27MHZ with the antenna changeover relay, etc...., he probably  already knows
more than half of the licensed operators on this reflector!
 There are a LOT of low pass filters that would have been required to  get
FCC approval that would have to be eliminated or retuned, and also some  serious
modifications to each stage and their control circuitry that would  require
some engineering background and/or significant prior  experience.

 I did one JRC amp about 5 years ago that had been a spare for an MRI
machine, and it even required reprogramming of it's digital controls to make  that
happen, I more or less did it to win a bet after spouting off to  someone that
no amplifier was 'mod' proof! I had to 'weld' taps  to coils that ran much too
hot because of inadequate space in the cabinet  and much too high of a 'Q' in
order to keep the coils small in size, and I never  intend to do another one
again because it's much, much, easier just to  build one from scratch. I won
the bet by getting full power out on all bands to  get my parts money back, but
provided absolutely no guarantees and wasted  entirely too much time
reworking an amplifier that I never thought  would have lasted a week much less hold
up for these last 5 years!

 Now if you would have said some licensed HAM operator or experienced
technician was considering purchasing that ebay plasma generator for  modification
and resale, I would be more likely to believe you.

 When I look at an article like that, I look at it for it's parts  value,
because in most cases there is not enough room in the original chassis to  add
the bandswitching components necessary to multiband it; and if the tubes are  no
good, and there were no guarantees that they were; I wouldn't pay even that
much for it!

In a message dated 10/11/04 10:11:17 AM Central Daylight Time,