[Amps] Transformers in parallel

lncarman lncarman at swbell.net
Mon Oct 11 16:47:16 EDT 2004

I'm running a pair of HV transformers in parallel to power a 3cpx5000
homebrew amp.
 Each transformer runs about 5100 vac, at close to an amp. I have two
seperate full-wave rectifiers
( one for each transformer ) which I joint at the dc output going to the
filter capacitors. I understand
that Henry used this technique on some units instead of combining the
transformer's hvac outputs
prior to the rectifiers. Seems to work ok with a good primary soft start
circuit. I had about 50 vac
difference from one transformer's hvac to the others which I don't see to be
a big problem at 5000 volts.
Someone may correct me on that.

Larry N5BIP