[Amps] GI-46B Question

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 15 08:57:55 EDT 2004

Bob the advertisement says the GI-46b is a variant on the GI-7b.  But
its interesting to read the description of the GI-6B, particularly the
transfer capacitance (http://nd2x.net/gi6b.html).  Lets compare transfer
capacitance

    GI-6B   0.25 pf   wires from cathode to anode to make it oscillate
    GI-7b    0.075 pf   good to microwave frequencies
    GI-46B 5.1 pf   wow
(http://www.tubes.ru/techinfo/TransmittingPulseTubes/gi-46b.html)

So it look to me like they used the tube as a power oscillator in
UHF/microwave application and include extra transfer capacitance to
simplify the external cavity design.

I belive the statement that the tube is the last generation of small
triode and it's the most advanced design.  But its not suitable for UHF
and probably not for VHF.  But in an HF amplifier in Grounded Grid, it
works fine.

jeff, wa1hco