[Amps] why does input SWR change when HV applied?

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 17 13:14:29 EDT 2004

Neil,

The cathode match works into both the input capacitance and the
resistive component of the cathode.

The resistive component comes from the fact that the cathode circuit
carries both the plate and grid current due to the voltage swing. The
input impedance basically computes as cathode voltage swing divided by
the sum of plate and grid current...except that both values vary widely
through the RF cycle, and the ratio varies even more widely as the tube
goes between cutoff and full conduction. To some extent, the resistive
component of input impedance also varies with drive level.

I tune up drive circuits by installing a temporary resistor from cathode
to ground to simulate the documented input resistance, and use the tube
and socket to provide the real capacitance. This tune-up can happen with
the filament off.

jeff, wa1hco