[Amps] Ameritron AL-80A tuning question

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Oct 17 17:52:44 EDT 2004

On Oct 17, 2004, at 1:34 PM, NW7US, Tomas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if there is an error in the tuning instructions for the
> Ameritron AL-80A in my copy of an old manual.
>
> It states:
>
> 8. Apply only enough drive to indicate a grid current of 50 mA or an
> Ip of no more than 200 mA.  Tune the PLATE control for maximum grid
> current.  It is normal for the plate current to dip at this point.  If
> the grid current goes over 100 mA reduce the drive at once.  Unkey the
> exciter.
>
> Ok - the part I am wondering about is "Tune the PLATE control for
> maximum grid current."  It seems, in every band that I do this
> procedure, there is no "maximum" on the grid meter - but there is ONE
> spot that is a DIP in readings.  And, this is where the power out on
> the watt meter increases.  In other words, no matter where I move the
> PLATE control, the grid meter level stays about the same, except for
> one tuning spot where the grid current DIPS - and this is where I
> notice increase power out... so either the manaul is misleading me, or
> I am doing something incorrectly.
>
> I'm just learning the Amp, and I am not an Amp user - this being my
> first Ameritron, and second Amp I've ever operated.  I am wishing to
> operate the Amp properly so I don't ruin the equipment.  Any pointers
> would be appreciated.

Tomas - -To tune up a g-g amplifier, apply maximum drive, tune and load
for maximum relative output.   Observe anode-I.  It should not exceed
the rated maximum.  If it does and you have an adjustable output level
transceiver, adjust the level for the rated max anode-I and retune.  If
your transceiver output is not adjustable, add some R in series with
the cathode coupling C so that the tube will not be over driven.
-  end