[Amps] Urgent help needed, pse. My 91b is scared of contests.

R.Measures r at somis.org
Fri Oct 29 06:56:26 EDT 2004

On Oct 29, 2004, at 2:53 AM, Robert Thain wrote:

> Hi,
> This is the third contest that my 91b has failed even
> before the start.  Its works ok at other times.
>
> I installed my 91b at the contest site, (where it has
> worked before). But it goes to 'Fault' straight away.
>
> My patch leads and dummy load are tested and fine. I
> do not believe there is RF getting in.
>
> Tuning in to a dummy load with 9.5W in nothing happens
> then at 10w it goes straight to fault and locks out.
> In an instant the TUNE indicator shoot hard over the
> the right just before defaulting to Fault.
>
> I do not know if its my imagination but i get an idea
> of a smell of O-zone (arcing) from the 'band select
> switch'/'tune up' area. But this might be just my
> imagination playing tricks.

Robert -- I would high-pot test the tubes to make sure there isn't a
concealed  problem.  Also, a 3 - 5 foot plastic tube, with one end held
to one's ear, makes a good sonic direction finder.  If you find that
the arcing is coming from the 10m or 15m L contact on the bandswitch,
there may be an intermittent parasite.