[Amps] Solid State HF High power linear amps- power supply voltage

HENRY PFIZENMAYER pfizenmayer at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 1 16:33:43 EST 2005

On the other end of the spectrum I spent a lot of the end of my" for pay "
engineering career working on trying to get efficiency and gain in devices
at 1.5 volts ---(or 1.2 or 1.3 etc depending on what one cell would do) .
Just for grins look at what the load line is for a 10 watt  PA  at 1.5
volts- and figure how to get the collector or drain inductance low enough to
have any bandwidth even rolling that L into a network . Lotsa stuff running
at about 3 volts these days, fancy MOS parts or GaAS HBT etc , or SiGE
devices. Circa 1974 when I was doing some of the earlier work for portables
in silicon bipolar -- the best tradeoff appeared to be around 7.5 volts -
ruggedness /gain per stage /efficiency versus supply voltage -- lotsa
epitaxial work to get there .

And yep I had the  infamous PE103 dynamotor running an 807 modulated with a
pair of 6L6's on 75 AM phone mobile -- does that date me ? And I remember
coveting the police Leece - Neville alternators !!!!

Hank K7HP

:

> Do a few on this forum recall when "solid state" was transistorized
> mobile power supply, a great leap forward from dynamotors?
>
> I'll let others explain to the younger subscribers of this forum what
> a "dynamotor" was if they don't know.
>
> I remember seeing pictures of the radios that used them being
> installed in the trunk of `48 Fords and Chevy's with Leece-Nevell (6
> v) alternators doing the REALLY heavy lifting, current wise.

Circa 1956, I saw a Leece-Neville 6v, 100a 3Ø system with step-up
transformers to give 115/200 vac 3Ø.  There was little room left in the
engine compartment.