[Amps] Standby tubes (was: Even more power solid-state amp's)

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Fri Apr 1 18:25:34 EST 2005

Dave your correct, the do still change them out on a time line. That's where a lot of the pulls on eBay come from. However, I have seen some large stations with a standby final stage, two cabinets side by side which are switched over in case of failure. I doubt they fire up the tubes heater unless it's needed. Matter of fact, the biggie here in Ohio which was Voice Of America had a standby PA. It wasnt near the power of the big monstter though. Of course they dont run that big amp any more and is now a tourist attraction. Actually, they had to shut it down over shutting Canada down. At its hay day, the Royal Family of England used to make music requests if I recall. This one is just outside of Cincinnatti. It was something like 500,000 watts if I recall or maybe a little more. The Blaw Knox tower still stands, and the cooling ponds are still outside, just grew up with cat tails. I think a group did overhaul it and fire it up for the 2000 shebang. They didn't run it very long though.

Best,

Will