[Amps] Transformer repair query

Chris Howard chris at yipyap.com
Sat Apr 2 17:08:58 EST 2005

I picked up a transformer at a hamfest today.

It is a battleship grey cube, 6-3/4" by 7" by 8"
and it weighs 63 lbs according to my bathroom
scale.

It has 4 terminals

1--2  and 3--4   the voltage ratio between
the windings is approximately 1:10
So if 1--2 is the primary, this thing would
give me about 1200 volts at who knows how
many amps.

My problem is: is uses those little terminals
that look like double-headed nails.  And one
of them has broken off inside.  I can make
contact by sticking a wire or pointed probe
down the hole.    I have the broken off piece,
and it looks like maybe there are some screw
threads on the internal part.  But it broke
off completely and comes out.

Is there any way to take apart these sealed cube
style transformers?  I think if I could
get it apart I could connect something to that
terminal and make it usable.  Otherwise
it is just a very heavy block of metal.

--
Chris Howard