[Amps] Standby tubes (was: Even more power solid-state amp's)

Gary Smith wa6fgi at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 3 16:19:46 EDT 2005

Does anyone know what level of power XERB or XEAK ran in the late fifties?  Dated a gal in that era whose parents had a *large* Telefunken table top radio that we used to listen too here in the Sacramento area. Was a thrill to hear stations from south of the border, Clint Texas, XERF and such. Want to recall I had heard power levels were in the 100 kw but am not sure.  Phillips transmitters were supposed to have been the rf generating device of choice.
The WLW pix with that Continental Electronics logotype on the left front makes the mental hairs on the back of my brain stand up, it does
Those were the fun days.
73,
Gary... wa6fgi