[Amps] Mine is bigger than yours (was: Re: Standby tubes

Gary Smith wa6fgi at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 3 16:37:51 EDT 2005

Once upon a time a few years ago, the Dixon, California naval radio station (not to far from a VOA site) was a manned station.  (It no longer is.) A friend of mine who worked there explained the ins and out of the those wonderful CE (continental electronics) transmitters which could be tuned to any frequency one's heart desired by the simple rotating of numbered BCD thumbwheels.  Was told that on a dull day when no naval traffic was expected to run the transmitters were often tuned to the heart of 11 meters and the red button was punched.  Do well imagine that the rf horsepower coming out of twin 900 foot phased towers might have well cleared that band for the day.
Well... at least for a few minutes anyway.
Children at play??  Oh my, who would do  thing like that?
Warm memories for me.
73,
Gary... wa6fgi