[Amps] a common topic here tspa

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Tue Apr 5 10:00:12 EDT 2005

When the 8877 first appeared on the ham scene, there were several
construction articles in both the ARRL and Bill Orr Handbooks using the tube
sans suppressor. If I remember correctly, the W8JR project amp in Bill Orr's
book was the first one with a suppressor called for in the recipe. Then came
several Henrys into the marketplace, and all had supps. I have converted
many of the 13.56 mhz plasma generators made by RF Power Products to ham
use; none had a suppressor, but I added one because I thought W8JR was smart
using one and also a choke in the heater line. Now, we have come a complete
circle with the AL-1500 sans suppressor. Someone should have asked Reid
Brandon at Eimac the big question 25 years ago, and this topic would have
been put to rest for good. We would know if/when one is needed, and the
recipe for rolling one that works properly without experimentation.

It is obvious that suppressors on an 8877 amp are optional, depending on the
design and use requirements.

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC

>>> Then, can we agree that the AL-1500 is the only
>>> commercially-manufactured
>>> multi-band amplifier (2-30MHz) on this planet that uses no parasitic
>>> suppressor?
>> As far as I know it is, Paul,
>>> -Paul, W9AC
>>>
> Are there any currently manufactured ham band amplifiers using the
> 8877 which *do* employ a parasitic suppressor?

I don't know.