[Amps] re ebay and amps

Adrian Rees (M1LCR) rees.a at btconnect.com
Tue Apr 12 16:56:35 EDT 2005

Just to add my little bit ...!

Well, I have bought two amps from eBay. Both are Dentron ML2500's. The first
was bought from a chap who gave the impression that he was the son of a late
RSGB President etc etc. This wasn't in fact the case, as  I later
discovered, and needless to say the amp arrived with damage, not only from
the carrier, but also original damage.

The amp was apparently working when it left the seller. (Incidentially, I
paid him cash, into a UK Bank account (same bank that I bank with) so if it
didn't show up, at least I had some sort of recourse.) After an hour or two
on the bench it was OK.

After my first experience, I became some what "sharper" to the antics of
some eBayers. Another ML2500 appeared. Again I won the auction. This time I
insisted that I met the seller at  a mutally conveniant location, and I'd
pay him cash.(And with some extra cash to cover fuel, as it was about
200miles from his home. About 200 from mine as well !)

I took along a friend of mine, who sat close by. The seller appeared, a 60+
Gentleman, certainly retired. The Amp was in immaculate condition, original
Box, Manual, Shipping Papers and Recipts. I trotted back to the car, were my
friend was sitting on the money. We exchanged cash for goods and everyone
was happy.

I then got chatting to the chap who sold me the amp. He told me that he had
had a bad time with all sorts of dodgy dealing going on. Apparently the
scams are from Africa and are starting to become common in Europe.

So, my friends, when ebaying, go collect, and take a friend.

Adrian Rees
M1LCR