[Amps] Follow up: Skin Effect and Wire Current Capacity at HF

Karl-Arne Markström sm0aom at telia.com
Fri Apr 15 11:34:24 EDT 2005

A reasonably general expression for the RF current capacity of wire or tubing at a given frequency
can be derived as follows:

First, it will be assumed that the current limitation is due to temperature rise of the
conductor, and that the very good thermal conductivity of copper will
spread the dissipated heat evenly over the cross-section of the conductor.

Then, the equality P(dissipation) = I(dc)^2* R(dc) = I(rf)^2* R(rf) = constant can be considered valid.

If power dissipation is considered constant, then the current limit for a given dissipation can be solved from:

 I1(dc)^2* R(dc) = I2(rf)^2* R(rf); where I1 is the DC current limit for a given temperature rise,
and  I2 is the corresponding RF current limit.

Rearranging:  I1/I2 = Square root(R(rf)/R(dc)).

The ratio of R(rf)/R(dc) for circular copper wire can be calculated (using Metric units) from:

R(rf)/R(dc) = 0,0038 * D * square root (f) + 0,26 ; where D is the wire or tubing diameter in mm, and f is frequency in Hz.

The final expression is then Imax(rf) = Imax(dc)/(square root (0,0038 * D * square root (f) + 0,26)

A worked example:

A copper wire of 3 mm diameter in free air is rated for about 50 A DC current for a temperature rise of 45 C.

The same wire would then be able to carry 50/(square root (0,0038 * 3 * square root (30E6) + 0,26) =
50/7,9 = 6,3 A RF at 30 MHz for the same temperature rise.

This translates to about 1,5 - 2 kW of CCS RF through a Pi-network with a Q of 12.

Hope this helps and 73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM