[Amps] defense of distributors tspa

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Fri Apr 15 23:25:36 EDT 2005

The designer of those amps for the one in mention was an engineer with the last name of Waldrup. He worked at the airport if I recall. The owner started with audio amps and got into the communications business. I think Majestic is still the Motorola boys there in Memphis for business radio, etc.. They were about the only manufacturer who used sweep tubes grid driven. This came from the audio amp business IMO. The only others I've seen made this way used smaller receiving tubes or audio tubes like the 8417 and a few 6550's. They were done in Indiana though. Really, being beam tetrodes or power pentodes, which ever you want to call them, grid driven was the correct way to run them. Most all the others ran them G-G with all 2-3 grids to ground. Some used a small screen voltage and some with a controlled bias. The grid driven ones using the tubes in mention ran about a 900-1000 VDC on the plate, about 400-450 VDC on the screen and a variable -120 to -150 on the control grid. (4) M-2057's or 8908's would do about 1100-1200 watts PEP. That aint too shaby for 4 glass tubes. There was one amateur amp, wont mention the name, that tried to use (4) 6LQ6-6JE6's in it but ran them at 1200 VDC and thought they would last, not hardly. I think it was rated for 1 KW input, I cant remember. There was one amateur amp that did use I think 10 sweep tubes in it that ran grid driven and was the Galaxy. I think it ran 6HF5's or something, and was for legal limit. Some say it worked pretty good, but I've never ran one. There was actually a design for a 4 tube 6LF6 or 6KD6 amp in the ARRL handbooks in the 70's. I think it was a G-G amp and ran about 900 VDC on the plate. That era is pretty much over except for the Italians and money being funneled back to Midland. Or I heard that Midland owned them, actually two companies there doing it.

Best,

Will