[Amps] Intermittent Bird element

Paul Higginson GW8IZR at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 05:00:04 EDT 2005

In message <001901c54317$6f8dcd00$0301a8c0 at home>, Steve Thompson
<g8gsq at ic24.net> writes
>Jeff wrote:
>> I recently bought a 2500C Bird Element. It worked fine for
>> abit but then developed a intermittent problem. I can only
>> make it work by tapping on top of the element every time,
>> otherwise it drops to zero. Any way to fix this or send for repair??

I recently had a similar problem with a 1000D element which exhibited
similar symptoms.

In this particular one there was a small cal pot which the wiper had
gone O/C. Wiggling the pot about cured the problem here - but of course
you then need to "calibrate" the unit. - hope that doesn't re start the
old thread :-)

Access to the pot is obtained in the usual way by gently- carefully-
lifting the label cap off by gently - carefully- warming the units face
and gently- carefully- easing it off with a sucker and 10a scalpel
blade.

HTH
--
73 de Paul GW8IZR