[Amps] Wound core transformer losses

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Fri Apr 22 13:30:14 EDT 2005

Not wound powder as I've never heard of the material. What I've seen used is Metglass though and Nickel-Cobalt. Metgalss is a glass ribbon with iron powder in it, and is flexible to where it can be wound. To me, I would think they would use a Nickel alloy here or one with Nickel and Cobalt. Generally, these alloys are the main top of the heap in any audio core, and are just as expensive as the Metglass. M6 to M2 has been used in audio transformer manufacturing with good success too. I've seen several on the internet advertising audio amp transformers with M6 as the steel. Heh, top it all, I seen one asking $1,800.00 for a pair!!!! I just wish I knew his customers ;-)

Best,

Will