[Amps] Bleeder Resistor Inquiry

David C. Hallam dhallam at rapidsys.com
Sun Apr 24 12:24:09 EDT 2005

If I read Mike's original post correctly, he stated that he held the voltage
to 4KV with his variac.  Therefore, he should have had 40 mA draw by the
bleeder resistor which is equal to 160W dissipation.  That should have not
cooked a 225W rated resistor.  Maybe the resistor had some shorted turns or
his voltage reading was incorrect.

All the comments about safety with bleeder resistors are correct, but don't
answer the question as to what might have cooked his bleeder.

David
KC2JD