[Amps] Bleeder Resistor Inquiry

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Sun Apr 24 15:39:32 EDT 2005

Your bleeder is too small. All you need a bleeder for on a C input filter
P.S. is to drain the HV after shut-down. Your 100,000 ohm resistor is
flowing 160 ma of current, and just heating itself, your components, and
your ham shack. I would use at least 200 k to 400k ohms. In all my 4 kv+
power supplies here, I use 4 X 100k ohm @ 100 watt units in series. (225
watt units will be better) Even these get really warm, but do the job just
fine. I always double the wattage on the bleeder resistors as a safety
factor. You don't want one of these babies to go open on you!

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC