[Amps] Shorting Sticks

Bill Coleman N2BC n2bc at stny.rr.com
Sun Apr 24 21:28:41 EDT 2005

I'm not sure what resistor you are referring to Rich.

In the power supply that bit me there were two 100K 225W resistors in series
across 4KV and one was open - no arcing.  Examination of the open resistor
showed only a hairline crack a couple inches from one end.

If you mean the current limiter you propose in a shorting stick, would you
trust it to arc so you knew it was open?

I'll go for the big bang of a heavy hunk of wire right to ground.  Safety
glasses on, one hand in my pocket.

Someone mentioned watching the HV meter.  In the case I had,  the HV meter
indicated zero - that's the bug I thought I had.  The metering was done
across a  small (10K ?) 25W resistor which was at the bottom of the open
bleeder.  Never trust the meter!

73, Bill   N2BC