[Amps] Resistors

Ian White GM3SEK g3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 02:56:56 EDT 2005

Ron Spencer wrote:
>After three trys I will ask this question one more time...
>
>Two 100k 100 watts in series on a power supply. Will the metal clips be
>safe to use for mounting..... TO  A PC BOARD.    ??????

No problems with insulation, (if you have removed the copper) but the
heat from the clips and the resistor body will probably damage the
epoxy. It would be better to mount the clips on short ceramic
stand-offs, purely as a heat barrier.

Even a small low-noise fan (ex-PC power supply, for example) will do
wonders in keeping the whole thing cool. Just make sure you're moving
the hot air from the resistors and transformer straight out of the
cabinet, and not blasting it all over everything else.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK