[Amps] Shorting Sticks

R@contesting.com R at contesting.com
Mon Apr 25 06:05:26 EDT 2005

On Apr 24, 2005, at 6:28 PM, Bill Coleman N2BC wrote:

> I'm not sure what resistor you are referring to Rich.

The R in the stick.  Perhaps it should be called a discharger-stick to
more accurately describe what it does.

> In the power supply that bit me there were two 100K 225W resistors in
> series across 4KV and one was open - no arcing.  Examination of the
> open resistor showed only a hairline crack a couple inches from one
> end.
>
> If you mean the current limiter you propose in a shorting stick, would
> you trust it to arc so you knew it was open?

According to my DMM, the 1k-ohm, 100w R in my discharger-stick has
never opened. My guess is that even if it did, it would not read
infinite R.

> I'll go for the big bang of a heavy hunk of wire right to ground.
> Safety glasses on, one hand in my pocket.
>

> Someone mentioned watching the HV meter.  In the case I had,  the HV
> meter indicated zero - that's the bug I thought I had.  The metering
> was done across a  small (10K ?) 25W resistor which was at the bottom
> of the open bleeder.  Never trust the meter!

And so, do not take the $hortcut of using a WW bleeder for the
voltmeter multiplier.  However, even if one accidentally touched a 25uF
cap charged to 4kV, would it do more damage than making a hole in one
finger?  I know of no case where anyone has been killed by such.

Rich Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.somis.org