[Amps] Chassis construction question

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 1 19:25:24 EDT 2005

Has anyone heard of or tried using Forstner bits for swich holes, etc in chassis construction? I had read an article somewhere about using them on aluminum chassis but didn't mention something like 20 ga. mild steel. I wonder how it would work in either, especiall using bits with a TIN coating? I could see how they wouldnt really need a starting hole, maybe just a spot from a center dril to make a big hole like Trepanning. What I use now is either cone bits, or chassis punches driven with an electric impact wrench. The larger cone bits require a starter hole like 1/8" and of course the punches have to have a hole to match the bolt. Any comments on these Forstner bits would be appreciated.

Best,

Will