[Amps] SB-220 Submerged

Van K7VS wa7fab at cdsnet.net
Thu Aug 4 08:48:47 EDT 2005

I must add my comments that may prove helpful.  Back in late 80's I owned a
couple of radio stations in Marysville-Yuba City, California that were
struck by massive flooding that flooded the entire ground floor of our
station.  We lost all our operating equipment including up to some rather
sophisticated satillite receiving equipment.  It was all inundated totally
and covered inside and outside with mud!  I found a commercial dishwasher.
Ran it all thru the dishwasher, let it actually sun dry for 48 hours and it
all went back into service including the satillite equipment.  I was
astonished that it all worked.  Finally secured an SBA loan, replaced all
the equipment and built a new facility and drove off into the sunset.  Point
being, make sure you got it really clean.  And make sure it is completely
dry and then turn it on.  Bet it works just fine.

PS.  Since then I have done exactly the same thing with everything from
older Collins S line, Heathkit and other receivers and transmitters and it
all work and looked great.  Just be sure you pull the cabinet off, check the
front panel.  Lately because of the age found that paint will chip and break
away on front panels and cabinets.  Especially heathkit stuff.  Take the
meters out as well.  Main concern is water in the transformers.  Make sure
everything is well dry or you will short out the transformers.  BTW, this
process was used for years by Tektronics to clean their old tube type
oscilloscopes and they even had a tech bulletin on the process.

Van, K7VS