[Amps] Metric system

Tony King - W4ZT amps at w4zt.com
Thu Aug 4 13:03:36 EDT 2005

I agree with George :)

I also have micrometers and dial indicators that can measure to 1/1000
and 1/10000 inch.  My lathe and milling machines have dials that read
.001 inch.

It's easy to use metrics.  Comes in handy when I compare wavelength to
frequency. On the other hand, I learned to use powers of ten long before
metrics were "cool".  It doesn't matter one bit whether we use metric or
English measurements.  I learned how to convert between the two long
ago. The most important thing we need to remember is to not waste our
time with expectations of too much accuracy.  When the project says cut
the antenna 19-1/4 inches long, use a tape measure. If I specify 2-3/8
inches, do the math if you want it in millimeters.  If George says it's
1.0325 inches, you'd better get out the micrometer.  On the other hand,
if Jos specifies 12 millimeters, I think 0.47 inches will be close
enough unless he specifies a closer tolerance.  I don't think I'm going
to try to achieve 0.4724395 inches.

Sounds like it would have been a good antenna George, useful on a wider
range of frequencies!

Which pole, magnetic or geographic?  ;)

73, Tony W4ZT