[Amps] Burning question of the day- how long is it?

w5grg w5grg at comforttexas.net
Thu Aug 4 15:33:43 EDT 2005

Well-lots of good comments, but I stopped with the beer long ago, so I
don't know what size it comes in, but it has been a handy saying for me
since a pint of water (fresh at some temp -forgot how many degrees maybe
72 F) is equal to 1 lbs, so both the liquid and weight have a common unit.
  I was kidding about the antenna,but since the metric system is not in
common use in most homes in the US and I imagine most hams buying the
handbook live in the USA, I am not sure why the ARRL uses the metric
system, seems more like an affectation rather than to make things clear.
If you understand tolerances  then fractions of an inch are easy  to
work with and close enough for most things including an antenna. After
all, most of the raw stock is made to the English system, not metric. I
always liked the fact that when buying steel or aluminum, and it came
sized in Metric, it actually worked out to an even inch size in
thickness, L, W.
I don't think that anyone commented on the most remarkable fact that the
English system (which I think comes down from the measurement of the
human forearm  or "cubit" - not sure of that) is both Base 2 and Base 3
, that is divisible both even and odd.
My father pointed that out to me when I was a kid and told him all about
learning about the metric system in school. As we all know now, but not
back when the French invented it, the distance from the town in France
(forgot which one) to the North Pole (where Santa lives) is not the
same- about like the French mans feelings for us depending on if they
are in trouble and need the American army to bail them out.
Maybe if we drop the metric system they will want the Statue of Liberty
back.
Me - I will stick to our system of measurement, that way when my wife
says she wants one-half of everything (not .5000000 + - 000) I will
understand what she means.
Good Luck
73's George W5GRG