[Amps] QRO ?

Rich rdjmgmt at socket.net
Thu Aug 4 23:17:05 EDT 2005

I am thinking about building my first amp and was wondering if I could
use a large tube ( 4-1000a ) at reduced voltage when I first start out
and then as I build confidence replace the lesser parts with better (HV)
parts. I don't like the idea of buying vacuum variable caps and not
being sure that the amp will work right. I am not looking for great
efficiency at low voltage but only to prove the concept and all
supporting parts like soft starts and delays and antenna relays work
correctly before I go to QRO. Due to band conditions for the next few
years it will be a mono-bander for 40m to start, 20m and 15m to be added
later.
 I have smaller tubes I could start with like C1583A's, and 304t's.

Rich, KD0ZZ