[Amps] Metric system

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 5 15:11:18 EDT 2005

David,

I remember when I was pretty young in school, say in the mid to late 70's, they made a push about using the metric system. There was so many complaints from partents, and even the teachers themselves that it didn't go anywhere. The thing is, a lot of engineering formulas use the metric system. Take transformers, the standard formula is all metric. It does have a converted formula though where you can use gauss with square inches. That's where I made the mistake earlier using 6.45. That is for converting square centimeters into square inches. So it directly converts gauss per sq cm to lines per inch. When I started using that years ago, I like to never got the hang of it, so I use a formula which already has it in it so I dont leave it out by mistake.

Metric;

N = V x 10^8 / 4 x F x f x a x B x s

Inch;

N = V x 10^8 / 25.8 x F x f x a x B x s

Where 4 x 6.45 = 25.80

Or if your doing sine wave only, F = 1.11 so 25.8 turns to 28.638

The formula above is easy to change around by replacing N with f, a, or B and putting N in their place.

N = Number of turns.
V = Voltage on the primary.
F = Form factor where 1 is for square waves, and 1.11 for sine waves.
f  = Operating frequency.
B = Flux density in gauss.
s = Stacking factor.

You can see from above how one little screw up can throw it all off.

Best,

Will