[Amps] Plate choke resistance

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sat Aug 6 09:01:14 EDT 2005

   Thinner wire allows more L per unit length, so the RFC takes up less
space,  The reason that one can use thinner rather than thicker wire
for a single-layer RFC is that since each turn is in contact with
cooling air, the current capacity is increased.  For example, in HV RFC
service, #22 Cu will carry 7A in SSB and CW service, whereas in xfmr
service, it might be used to carry c. 1A.
-  Satisfactory types of insulation for HV RFC service are TFE or Type
WL 180ºC silicone varnish insulated wire -- such as is used by electric
motor rewinding shops.