[Amps] FW: AMERITRON AL-1500 ????

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Aug 7 13:40:19 EDT 2005

On Aug 7, 2005, at 9:57 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> Jose,
>
> The AL-1500 has a slightly undersize output circuit and may melt
> the coil if you try to run "full soup" on RTTY.  Other than that
> - as you have noticed - it is a relatively good value for the
> money.
>
> There will be some who claim that the amplifier is unstable -
> far from it.  If Ameritron have not changed the design and it
> is built with good, low impedance ground on the screen ,

8877 screen?

> the amplifier is very stable.

Autopsy photo of kaput Eimac 8877 s/n HSZ 501 removed from AL-1500:
http://www.somis.org/8877-gs2.JPEG

> A significant problem with the 8877 is the ability to easily
> overdrive the tube.  An 8877 takes about 60 watts of drive to
> reach 1500 watts out.  Your FT-1000MP/MKV will drive the pants
> off the tube!   Be very careful about drive levels and tuning
> to keep the grid current below about 60 mA ... otherwise the
> tube is in danger (Eimac recommends 100 mA max for the grid).

Call for reference.
-  In its early 8877 spec sheet, Eimac recommends not exceeding 25W of
grid dissipation.  At a cathode-grid drive level of 70V-rms, this
represents about 350mA of DC grid-I.  In other spec sheets, the grid-P
is rated at 20W max, which represents c. 285mA of grid-I.

CHEERS, Joe.