[Amps] TV sweep tubes and 6146s

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 11 06:51:05 EDT 2005

If it were me going to build a new sweep tube type amp, I'd look at the new 6550 tubes. Their maximum dissapation is around 40 watts which equals a 6LF6 in power. They dont have an anode cap, and the anode comes out of a pin on the base. That can be worked around easy by mounting the tune C and load C under the chassis. The tank coil can be put on top of the chassis and connected to both capacitors through ceramic feedthroughs. That's actually the best way to do any of them as the chassis shields the coil from the capacitors. One could build that easily using a 3" deep chassis which is commercially available from Hammond. I have a few new 6550's here that I started to build a prototype. Maybe I'll get back into it and build one just to see how it works.

Best,

Will