[Amps] Testing filament xfmr

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 11 09:16:36 EDT 2005

Really the best test is use a load bank so the secondary will pull the maximum rated current. The load bank of course is a large set of resistors. An air cooled transformer for our type work shouldn't get hot but only warm to the touch. Never hot enough that you couldn't leave your hand on it. If enough of the right amount of iron is used, copper loss is always the predominant one. This can be controlled by using large enough wire with a minimum of 750 circular mils per ampere for ICAS work. You can fudge on this a little for a low voltage transformer as long as the primary is wound using the 750 figure. The secondary, if it's the outside coil, and no more than two layers, can be a little less than 750. The reason being is it can cool off easy being the outer coil. For other secondaries though, using 750 is a must. For CCS, 1000 Cir. Mils per amp or up to 1200 needs to be used. Commercial door bell type transformer are designed to be ran kind of hot though and they use something like 500 cir mils per amp. They dont care about the life span on these nor if the secondaries waveform is a bit distorted. They run pretty warm without a load. Some of the other cheap mass-produced transformers kind of skate by too, so using them is not a real good idea for long term performance. You can tell by the resistance of each winding about how many watts it will dissipate by simply measuring the resistance while cold and after ones been under load for a while. If you dont have a load bank though, the test by shorting the coil is done.

Best,

Will