[Amps] Soft Start

TexasRF@aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Fri Aug 12 13:42:53 EDT 2005

An interesting characteristic of an AC relay is that it buzzes like crazy  as
the voltage ramps up to the value it needs to fully operate. I assume that
the relay contacts are doing that as well which probably doesn't hurt  anything.

If the tube has a directly heated cathode, the filament typically has about
1/10 resistance cold vs. hot. The limiting resistor would be a big help in
reducing the filament current at turn on and that is a good thing.

Solid state timers are available from Grainger for about $20, and are
adjustable over a wide range of times. They simply connect between one of the  relay
coil terminals and the AC supply voltage; could not be easier to install  and
work perfectly.

73/K5GW

In a message dated 8/12/2005 12:21:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,