[Amps] 2nd grid resistor blow Ameritron AMP 811H

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 16 08:16:32 EDT 2005

I wouldn't believe it either if it weren't for years of servicing RF amps. Some of the old G-G sweep tube amps were so prone to self oscillation, that the cathodes were killed all together on idle to prevent it. Some killed the plate voltage at the HV transformer lead with a relay The ones most prone to it had high interelectrode capacitances. When you look at some of the larger tubes, their interelectrode capacitances are higher than that with greater potentials. Keep in mind, they didn't do it all the time, and some of the same model never had the problem either. The ones that did though, you could tell that the parasitic supressors resistor had been hot. So to me saying that I've owned one model for years and never had any problems don't quiet mean that your neighbor down the road didn't. What causes it on one model from the next is beyond me, I sure couldn't say, just that I've seen it with my own eyes.

Best,

Will