[Amps] [TowerTalk] Are All Low-Pass Filters Alike? -

Henry Pfizenmayer pfizenmayer at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 16 18:08:02 EDT 2005

FWIW -- In the stop band - normal low pass filters (not of the type that
terminate out of band harmonics instead of reflecting them ) will be
anything but matched -  Further ,  especially on broad band PA's like tx
coupled solid state - you can run into some unexpected problems (especially
poor efficiency and gain flatness ) - when you terminate even or odd
harmonics in un-determined impedances-that is why some of the solid state
guys are designing and building filters that terminate rather than reflect
harmonics-.( These are basically lowpass- highpass complementary filters
with the highpass section feeding a resistive load to terminate the
harmonics).

 Also , a finer point of conventional filters is that the "designed"
attenuation will be different depending on whether the source looks like  a
constant current or constant voltage generator - If you have a circuit
simulator you can prove this to your self pretty quickly.

Low pass filters  with the first element as a series inductor  rather than a
shunt capacitor will look entirely different at harmonic frequencies  - and
affect the amplifier differently - of course the length of coax (if any)
between the amp and the filter can rotate the filter out of band impedances
all over the place as well.

 Lots of fun --

Hank K7HP