[Amps] !44Mhz Gi7B amp problems continued

TexasRF@aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Sun Aug 21 09:55:32 EDT 2005

High grid current with low plate current usually means the output circuit
needs heavier coupling to the load. Said another way, the plate load impedance
set by the output network is too high.

The YU1AW 144 MHz designs have an L network for output matching with a
flapper style series capacitor to the output load. To increase loading, you
increase the output coupling capacitor value (closer spacing) and the plate  tuning
capacitor will need less capacitance (wider spacing) to maintain  resonance.

The load needs to be near 50 ohms resistive for all this to work properly.
If there is series +-j, these values will add/subtract from the series coupling
 capacitor value and have an effect on the plate load impedance.

A typical tuning procedure is to tune the plate circuit for maximum power
output which makes all of the above happen automatically. Of coarse excessive
drive power will make the grid current too high when the unit is working
correctly.

73,
Gerald/k5gw

In a message dated 8/21/2005 7:06:50 A.M. Central Standard Time,