[Amps] ps caps

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 22 12:51:09 EDT 2005

Vic,

Does that mean you believe in using equalizing resistors across the HV rectifiers also? Electrolytic capacitors actually have a semiconductor function to them. No other capacitor does though that is non-polarized. The diode action of an electro cap is due to the anodized anode foil and the electrolyte being the other plate. Actually the cathode is the electrolyte and the other strip of aluminum is used to make contact with it and serves no other function. That's why polarized caps go BOOM when connected backwards, same as connecting a diode backwards. Kirchoffs law comes into play here. If the capacitances were way off from one to another, then you'd have unequal voltages, but I've never seen that in new products. Capacitors out of the same run and lot, I have never found to be a difference. Everything is controlled in their manufacture right down to the lengths of the foil, and the mixture of the electrolyte. The only way I'd see some might be different would be mixing some made a years apart or so which they dont do. The distributors sells so many and buys by lot runs, I highly doubt ever buying new would cause a problem. I personally think Alphas comments is a bunch of malarky and or horse kaka. Just my opinion of course.

Best,

Will