[Amps] plate choke

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 26 11:18:46 EDT 2005

On 8/26/05 at 3:41 AM R.Measures wrote:

>On Aug 25, 2005, at 9:33 PM, KD7QAE wrote:
>
>> So,  many of the plate chokes I have seen described in home brew
>> amplifiers and those in use in Ameritron, Henry, Alpha and QRO are
>> single layer wound solenoids, many like the one I built.  These do not
>> exhibit resonant peaks (High Z) in the ham bands as far as I can tell
>> based on my limited experience.
>
>A single-layer choke of up to c. 60uH will exhibit no resonances below
>approximately 35MHz, however, larger chokes will.

Not in the normal ham bands I doubt it. I have seen them though, well lets say in other places close. However a choke for that frequency needed to be used. It was around 22 uH so that should give a hint.

>>  I am very confused by the assertions
>> that I need to build something materially different than these examples
>> or face a very inefficient and perhaps flaming amplifier.
>
>Choke fires are definitely not an old wives' tale.  To avoid burning
>one's hair, choke resonances need to be parked with care

Amen! That reminds me of the problems in some of the old Henry amps where the top few turns went POOF!

>> Michael Tope wrote:

>>> for instance, can't be explained by a simple 3 component lumped RLC