[Amps] [Moon-net] Solid state relay

TexasRF@aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Mon Aug 29 10:38:48 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/28/2005 2:58:20 P.M. Central Standard Time,
k8isk at comcast.net writes:

Hello to  the group,

Has anyone in the group ever used solid state relays for  controlling the AC
input to a power supply for a 1500w amplifier? I  recently acquired some
really nice 50A @ 480VAC solid state relays and  they would work great in a
power suppy but never using this type device  before, I am somewhat hesitant.

Thanks for any info.

73, Terry

Hi Terry, I have used many Solid State Relays for HV power supplies over  the
years with excellent results. At first I tried 25 amp units and had a couple
of failures due to the very high peak currents in my capacitor filter power
supply. After switching to 40 amp units no more problems.

I do use fault sensing in the amplifier to interrupt the control voltage to
the relay in the hope that quick hv turn off will help keep more components
(including the relay) from failing.

The only other comment is that the solid state units need to be mounted in
such a manner to help remove self generated heating. There is a voltage drop
across the relay of about .7 as I recall and you can see that with large peak
currents some heating will happen. The relays I have used have a small leakage
 when turned off that leaves a few volts ac on the transformer primary. This
means you could have a bit of voltage left on the hv side when you might
think  there is none. Beware, shorting the filter is deceptive: it will just
charge  right back up.

73,
Gerald K5GW