[Amps] Pop (arc) noise in Alpha 99

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 03:20:58 EST 2005

Ken, KA0W wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Comments on the Alpha 99 being susceptible to dust, fuzz, etc.
>getting into amp and occasionally producing a pop or arc noise? Had
>an old Clipperton-L that occasionally popped off from airborne
>particles and pests. Wondering if others have this problem with the
>Alpha 99? Occurs at random, even in standby. Just wondering (a little
>concerned), does not appear to affect the 99's performance.

Have you cleaned it out? If not, you can have a situation where the same
bits of dust and debris stay inside the grid compartment and the
chimney, and occasionally are blow upward to bridge the ceramic.

Bits of moth are quite common, and after a VHF Field Day I once found a
whole earwig in a tube chimney... well, most of an earwig.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK