[Amps] Help with first project (4-1000A ???)

Edward Foltyn efoltyn at adelphia.net
Tue Dec 13 19:22:23 EST 2005

Ok folks,  I'm jumping in here to ask some questions, some of which have probably been asked before.  I want to build my first amp and over the last couiple of years have accumulated much of what I need for in a 4-100A amp (2 tubes, socket, chimney, transformer from a Johnson Desk KW [capable of upwards of 8kv], vacuum variable, etc).

However, everytime I read this reflector and others, I find that if I run in G-G, I'll need more than 100w to get in the 1300-1500w output range and if I use driven grid, I'll spend a lot of time trying to make everything work.

My question for the group is to get some ideas on whether or not I should proceed with this project, or cut my losses(??) and try to get somethinga bit more straight forward.

Thanks for the advice.
Ed KQ1R