[Amps] Purpose of cathode resistor?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Dec 28 13:33:40 EST 2005

On Dec 28, 2005, at 9:33 AM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> Bill Turner wrote:
>> I have a question for all the amplifier experts out there.
>>
>> In this schematic:
>>
>> http://members.ispwest.com/dezrat1242/cathode.jpg
>>
>> there is a 250 ohm resistor connected across the fuse/zener. What is
>> the purpose of that resistor, and why is that particular value
>> chosen? (I have also seen 200 ohms used.)
>
> My non-expert guess:  if the fuse blows, it prevents the filament
> transformer secondary from rising to a very high positive voltage,

The problem is negative potential.

> possibly exceeding it's insulation rating.

The fly in the pie is that 250v fuses don't simply open in 3kV circuit,
during a glitch they create a metal vapour arc that does not limit
current until after they explode.  Thus, during a glitch, the cathode
can rise to c. 2900v negative.  Using a component at 10-times its max V
rating is probably not good engineering practice.