[Amps] Drake L-4B fan - too small and too slow?

Jason Buchanan jsb at digistar.com
Wed Dec 28 21:37:03 EST 2005

Alan Ibbetson wrote:

>Having replaced the 0.82 ohm fuse with a proper glitch resistor in the
>HT supply of my L4-B, like y'all advised, I've been continuing to abuse
>my Drake L-4B amplifier on CW.
>

>Anyone know of a drop-in faster running motor that would save me burning
>the paint off the top of the cabinet? Or is there a better way?

I'm holding in my hands (well not as I type this but I was holding it) a
Dayton 4C761 fan (see pictures at
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/dayton_blower.htm or
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId=1611630880)
which is the same form factor to a T as will fit in the L-4 / L-4B but
you'll have to grind/cut off the flanges (the metal is thin) where the
Dayton fan originally mounts.  I bought the fan I have now from W2CQM
with the intention of replacing the stock Drake fan but I just haven't
got around to it yet.

The Dayton 4C761 fan is rated at 50CFM, 2840RPM, 115VAC 60hz.  If you
reduced the input voltage i'm sure it would handle the 50Hz AC.  You'd
probably want to do this since this fan pushes a lot of air and is a
little noisy.

I usually run in the CW mode these days as the CW mode yields a comfy
550W output and the stress running at 1100W just didn't seem like it was
worth the 3dB.

hope this helps!

73 Jason N1SU

--