[Amps] 3-500zgs

Joe Isabella n3ji at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 14:03:08 EST 2005

Couldn't it be that the graphites are totally different material than the standard Eimacs?

  Joe

Jason Buchanan <jsb at digistar.com> wrote:

> I don't think you want to run it in SSB (4kV) mode with a continuous
> output (like data or AM). My 3K-A with RF Parts ZGs will do that, too but
> the Tubes get pretty bright orange!! I can get almost 2500W PEP out of it
> with ~175W drive, but I stick to 80-100W or so.
>
> On AM, I leave it in CW (3kV) and drive it to 375W Carrier. Seems like
> it'll make output there aaaallllll daaaayyyyy looooooongggg... And the
> tubes only show a little color. (You know how us AM'ers are!! :-) )

Must be the ZSAC - on my L4 on SSB position there is about 200mA, on CW
position around 150mA. And i'm thinking the thickness of the plate material
must be considerably more thin in the old Eimac 3-400Z than the 3-500ZG
tubes. I know the Amperex 3-400Z 8163 take more current to get orange than
the eimac 3-400Z.

73 Jason N1SU

--
Jason Buchanan - Boxboro, MA FN42fl